Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Market

Well, today I was proposed to! Haha, you will be happy to hear I refused. And that's nothing compared to Sarah - she was asked 4 or 5 times. It's actually quite amazing, and annoying, frankly - simply walking along the street elicits countless whistles, shouts, greetings, and kissing sounds to attract attention. Some men will yell a string of random American names, hoping one of them will be right and we will turn around. And instead of being flattering, it's just bothersome...just let me shop in peace, I beg you! Why must we be white?? Cameroonians will also raise their prices, because they know white people have money... well, that's mostly true. There's a reason I'm buying things here, and not America! My spoils today - a shirt, a purse, a bunch of fabric and a delicious noodle salad - cost less than $15 all together.

Several rules of thumb that I've been told or have just come to my attention:
1. Hold onto your purse.
2. Ignore all shouts and greetings directed at you.
3. If you see it, and like it, buy it. Chances are you won't see it again.
4. Run quickly across the street... pedestrians do not have the right of way.
5. Switch your ring to your left hand so people think you are married - it actually kinda works!
Yeah... well there were more that have slipped my mind....oh well! I'm sure I'll remember plenty of things to tell you all as I continue learning about this crazy awesome culture. Happy trails! ...until tomorrow. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment