Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Days Go By

"Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life." William Faulkner

This quote seemed perfect today for several reasons... First of all, the clock on the wall stopped working today and it has been 8:12 for the past three hours. Also because it is Africa, and as I've mentioned before, the days aren't organized and scheduled within an inch of their lives like in America. Since I've been here, my days have been both jam-packed and quiet, sometimes rich with cultural experiences and sometimes as Americanized as can be. And they have all absolutely flown by. I'm amazed to realize I've been living in Cameroon for over a month. A little scared, too - before I know it, the year will be over and I will again arrive at the wondering-what-the-heck-I'm-going-to-do-with-my-life point. I, unfortunately, am a worrier. Although I know it's entirely useless, I can't help but stress over the future, and next year, and how fast the time is flying by. But "the best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." (Abraham Lincoln) Thank goodness for that. 

2 comments:

  1. Here are some verses that I meditated on when I was your age and that God brings to mind even now. "Do not worry then saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things, But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; fopr tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Mt. 6:31-34
    I am glad that your loving heavenly Father knows and cares about your future and that you have given this year to serve Him in Cameroon. I am praying for you.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! This is one of my favorite passages, actually, and so encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete