Monday, March 25, 2013

Another newsletter from Chris that just went out:

Prayers answered; Hurdles hurdled



Thank you to all who have sent messages of concern and encouragement. Reading the FaceBook posts and messages remembering Karen has been nourishing to my heart. I end up crying as I read them. It is a good exercise in remembering, cherishing and grieving!

Thank you as well for your prayers concerning the administrative details that were holding me back from returning to Cameroon. I can tell you that your prayers have worked!

- Karen’s body was transferred from the hospital to the state morgue on Saturday without us even knowing about it! We learned of this on Sunday afternoon. That means that the police took action on Saturday which was not what anyone expected.

- In that her body was transferred, I was free to make the official identification and sign the forms necessary to transfer the responsibilities to the local undertaker of all of what remains to be done in order to repatriate her to California. I did that today.

- Via a Cameroonian friend who lives in Pretoria, I was connected to a man from Mamfe who works in the Consular Services at the Cameroonian Embassy. With that connection, I was able to go there today and I will have the visa first thing in the morning on Tuesday. 

- We have purchased a ticket on South African Air that arrives in Douala, Cameroon Tuesday night. A colleague is coming to pick me up there. We will stay the night in Douala and then travel to Yaounde Wednesday morning.

- Carolin Huber and most of the rest of our household will travel down to Yaounde tomorrow. I’ll see them on Wednesday and arrive in time to take Katelyn to her appointment at the US Embassy to renew her passport.

All of this has been facilitated by my new friends, Sebastian and Karen Floor. They serve in director and regional roles in Wycliffe South Africa and they have greatly served me through this process. Though we never met before this, we are now bound together as friends. I will always count them as part of God’s provision.

Speaking of provision, many, many of you are asking what you can do to help. Thank you for that. Friends of ours in Grass Valley are offering to receive checks that can be deposited into an account for us to use for the costs of travel, repatriation, burial, etc. If you wish to know how to do this, please drop an email to:


Blessed by God’s extensive and caring community,

Chris, Karissa and Katelyn

Tomorrow morning Katelyn, Lum, Fadi, Carolin, Sarah and I will all travel down to Yaounde to start working on renewing Katelyn's passport and meet up with Chris. Not sure when we'll be coming back, but hopefully it will be soon. Thank you all for your prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment